Expert advice: Reasons to overseed
The benefits of overseeding by Duncan Hendry
Our grass and small seeds specialist Duncan Hendry outlines the many environmental and yield benefits to overseeding in his latest update:
“Forage production is expensive. It is well known that just 1 year after a reseed, weed species can make up 20% of a sward, after four years this can have more than doubled and after eight years, weed species will begin to dominate. As a result of this dry matter yields will suffer, an 8-year-old ley will yield approximately 5 to 6 T of dry matter per hectare against a new ley yielding about 15T of dry matter per Hectare.
Can you afford not to overseed and gain valuable dry matter for grazing or conserving?
Total reseeding is costly, and not always easy to fit into your rotation. An alternative is to overseed, which will bring your swards back into maximum production by overseeding.
OVERSEEDER is a combination of Ryegrasses and White Clover.
- Increase the proportion of Ryegrasses in your sward;
- Improve the quality of the grass available to your livestock and therefore increase
- Improves nutrient efficiency;
- Repairs damage to swards caused by poaching;
- Varieties have been chosen because of their aggressive nature to establish in an
existing sward but are easily managed.
To learn more please get in touch with Duncan directly, by emailing email@example.com.