Introducing PIRONA Naked Barley
We are pleased to introduce to you PIRONA Naked Barley, a variety bred by esteemed German Plant Breeder Karl Joseph Muller.
What is Naked Barley?
It is barley that when harvested, the grains thrash freely from the hulls. This cuts down on processing and ensures that all of the bran and germ are retained.
Barley with its hull is indigestible to humans and therefore has to be pearled. Naked Barley does not require this.
Background to Naked Barley
It is believed Naked Barley originated in Iran and quickly spread throughout Europe, Asia and North Africa and was probably the most important cereal crop of the Neolithic and Bronze Age. However following the introduction of milling wheats during the Iron Age, barley was no longer of interest and used only in animal feed, and as such, the lower yielding naked types were no longer of interest.
Benefits of Naked Barley
- Shown to Reduce Blood Cholesterol Levels – This is due to its rich source of complex carbohydrates, especially beta-glucan soluble fibres which are also found in oats.
- Helps to Reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes – Barley starch is broken down to release sugar into the blood over a longer period of time, preventing spikes of blood sugar insulin
- Low Glycemic Index – Naked barley is shown to have a low glycemic index and even lower than pearled barley, which cannot be classed as wholegrain
- Sustainable Crop – When grown conventionally, Naked Barley requires far less inputs than wheat and is suitable for growing in adverse conditions
How Can Naked Barley be Used?
- Barley Flour for bread, pastry, pasta, cakes & biscuits
- Breakfast cereals
- Soft Drinks
- Thickening agent for cooking
12th April 2016, taken 20 days
after drilling, showing a good
root structure for scavenging nutrients
12th April 2016 Pirona being grown
in Cambridge on an organic farm.
Picture shows crops vigour after
only 20 days of growth
After a successful first harvest in 2016, we have both organic and conventional naked barley to offer from harvest 2017.
We can offer Naked Barley Seed in 500kg bags as well as Naked Barley Grain in 25kg or 500kg bags.
Please email for further information or to place your order.